Applicants who wish to register for the 2017 MedPhys Match should follow the procedures outlined below.
Prior to Registering
- Review the MedPhys Match Rules and the Applicant Agreement below. As part of the process to register for the MedPhys Match, you must agree to comply with the Applicant Agreement.
- Review the information accessible from the links in the About the Match section of this web site, especially the Schedule of Dates. All MedPhys Match participants must abide by these dates.
American Association of Physicists in Medicine
I plan to apply for a position in a medical physics residency program that starts training between June 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. In order to participate in the Medical Physics Matching Program (the “MedPhys Match”), I agree:
I understand that during recruitment discussions I may freely discuss any matter with a program and that I and the program may express a high level of interest in the other. Communication guidelines are as follows:
Any expression of interest that may be made during the free discussion between me and a program is subject to change based on further considerations by either party. Both the program(s) and I have the right to change the Rank Order Lists at any time prior to the deadline for submission of the Rank Order Lists.
For the purposes of the MedPhys Match, my Rank Order List is to be the sole determinant of my order of preference for the programs to which I have applied. Similarly, for the purposes of the MedPhys Match, the Rank Order List submitted by each program is to be the sole determinant of the program's order of preference for the applicants to the program.
I understand that the result I obtain in the Match, whether I am matched or not and to which residency program I have been matched, may be reported to programs participating in the MedPhys Match, to AAPM, to the Society of Directors of Academic Medical Physics Programs (SDAMPP) and my school, and to other parties deemed necessary by AAPM or SDAMPP, either by mail or electronically.
I understand that my appointment to the program with which I am matched may be contingent on my satisfying eligibility requirements specified by the institution and program.
I understand that AAPM is responsible for enforcing this Agreement, and violations of the terms of this Agreement or the MedPhys Match Rules will be reported to AAPM. I understand that if I violate any of the terms of this Agreement or the MedPhys Match Rules, such as refusing to accept a position at the program with which I have been matched, the AAPM may pursue all available remedies, including reporting my actions to my school or to Medical Physics program directors. Furthermore, AAPM may impose penalties on me, including barring me from participation in future Medical Physics Matching Programs.
Procedure for Registering
- You must register for the MedPhys Match online using the NMS Match System, which can be accessed using the button provided at the bottom of this page. You should register only once. Registration for previous years cannot be reactivated or transferred to this year.
- Fee: You must pay a fee of $55 USD to register for the Match. The registration fee is non-refundable (even if you subsequently decide not to participate in the Match) and is not transferable to future Matches or other applicants; it applies only to the current Match year for the applicant who registers when the fee is paid.
- Timing: It is recommended that applicants register for the MedPhys Match by December 1, 2016, although registrations can be accepted after that date.
- Couples: Two applicants who wish to coordinate their matches (e.g., obtain positions in the same geographic location) may participate in the MedPhys Match as a "Couple". Each applicant must first register to participate in the MedPhys Match as an individual. After both applicants have registered, they can update their accounts to indicate they are part of a couple and identify their partner. Use the following link to read further instructions on participating in the MedPhys Match as a couple.
- When the registration process is completed: You will be assigned a 5-digit Applicant Code Number, which will be used to identify you in the MedPhys Match. You should record your Applicant Code Number for future reference. You will need your Code Number, e-mail and password in order to access your account, submit your Rank Order List and obtain your Match result.
Applications to Programs
- Registration for the Match does NOT constitute an application to any of the programs that participate in the MedPhys Match.
- Applicants must contact and apply to programs independently of the MedPhys Match. Application processes and deadlines for programs vary; therefore, applicants should check with programs directly for more information.
- Many programs use the Medical Physics Residency Application Program (MP-RAP) provided by AAPM. More information about MP-RAP can be found at www.aapm.org/mprap.
- Programs require the Applicant Code Number that is assigned to you when you register for the MedPhys Match in order to correctly identify you on their Rank Order List for the MedPhys Match. Therefore, you should provide your Applicant Code Number to the programs participating in the MedPhys Match to which you apply. You should keep your password confidential; do not provide your password to any programs.
- If you have not yet registered for the MedPhys Match and wish to do so, click on the button provided below:
- After registering for the MedPhys Match, you can access your account by selecting the Log In button in the top-right corner of the screen. You will need your e-mail and password to access your account.