The Match provides an Early Commitment Process whereby, under certain conditions, a position in a PGY2 program can be committed to a current PGY1 resident in advance of the matching process.
- The PGY2 program and position must be registered for the Match. The PGY1 resident does not have to be registered for the Match.
- The residency program must have a formal, written procedure that documents the process for assessment and selection of residents completing an ASHP accredited or candidate status PGY1 program for Early Commitment to the PGY2 residency program operated by the same organization or the same health system.
- The applicant must be a current PGY1 resident in an ASHP accredited or candidate status PGY1 residency operated by the same organization or the same health system as the PGY2 residency, and the PGY1 and PGY2 residencies must be consecutive years of employment for the resident. Ultimate determination of whether the PGY1 and PGY2 residencies are in fact operated by the same organization or the same health system will be at the discretion of ASHP. Questions can be addressed by emailing ASHP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Using the online procedures described below, the PGY2 Residency Program Director must offer a position to the PGY1 resident, and the PGY1 resident must commit to accepting the position. Both parties must complete the online process by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 15, 2023.
- The PGY2 program must pay a non-refundable fee of $160 USD for each position committed to a resident through the Early Commitment Process.
- Programs that fill all their positions through the Early Commitment Process must immediately access the PhORCAS system to close the program for applications, so that other applicants will not be able to apply to the program.
- Early commitments that have not been accepted in the NMS Match System by the resident by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 15, 2023 will expire and will no longer be valid. The position will have to be offered through the matching process and applicants interested in the position must register for and participate in the Match, unless the organization or the same health system does not intend to fill the position.
Procedure for Programs
The program must be a PGY2 program that is registered for the Match and has an available position in order to make an Early Commitment offer.
- To make an Early Commitment offer, the program must log into the NMS Match System and select the Edit button for Early Commitments in the Positions section of the Dashboard. The program makes the offer by providing the PGY1 resident's name and email address, and electronically signing the Early Commitment Program Agreement.
- Once the program makes the Early Commitment offer online, the NMS Match System will send an email to the resident requesting acceptance of the Early Commitment offer. When the offer is accepted by the resident, the program is sent a notification by email. If all of the program's positions have been offered and accepted through the Early Commitment Process, the program will be withdrawn automatically from the Match.
When an Early Commitment offer is made, the number of positions to be filled by the program in the Match is updated automatically.
The program must also pay a non-refundable fee of $160 USD for each position filled by a PGY1 resident through the Early Commitment Process. The program has the option of paying the Early Commitment fees online by credit card at the time the position is offered, or paying later either by credit card or check.
Note: Programs that fill all their positions through the Early Commitment Process must immediately access the PhORCAS system to close the program for applications, so that other applicants will not be able to apply to the program.
Procedure for Residents
- The PGY2 program must initiate the process by making an Early Commitment offer to the PGY1 resident using the NMS Match System. When the offer is made, the NMS Match System sends the resident an email requesting acceptance of the offer.
- The resident must use the unique link provided in the email to access the NMS Match System. The resident must electronically sign the Applicant Early Commitment Agreement and provide some personal information including contact information, school and year of graduation, and their current PGY1 residency. If the resident's school of graduation or current PGY1 residency is not available for selection in the NMS Match System, the resident must contact NMS.
- The resident is then presented with a Confirmation page where they can review the information they submitted, and they can make corrections if necessary. The resident must then press the Accept This Position button to formally accept the position and complete the process.
If the resident had previously registered for the Match, the resident will be withdrawn from the Match by NMS.
If a resident who has accepted an Early Commitment position needs to update the information they submitted in the NMS Match System, please contact NMS.