Early Commitment Process
For Positions in PGY2 Programs
Requirements and Procedures
The Match incorporates an Early Commitment Process, whereby a position in a PGY2 program can be committed to a current PGY1 resident in advance of the matching process, under the following conditions:
- The residency sponsor must have a formal, written policy regarding the promotion of the PGY2 residency to PGY1 residents, and how candidates will be selected and assessed.
- The PGY2 program and position must be registered for the Match. The PGY1 resident does not have to be registered for the Match.
- The applicant must be a current PGY1 resident in a PGY1 residency offered by the same sponsor as the PGY2 residency (e.g., the same or an affiliated organization), and the PGY1 and PGY2 residencies must be continuous years of employment for the resident. Determination of whether the PGY1 and PGY2 residencies are in fact offered by the same sponsor is at the discretion of the ASHP.
- The PGY1 resident and PGY2 residency program director must both sign a letter of agreement that commits the PGY2 position to the PGY1 resident. The letter of agreement to be signed by the program director and resident should be downloaded from this web site by following the instructions provided at the bottom of this page
- The PGY2 residency program must pay a non-refundable fee of $150 USD to National Matching Services Inc. (NMS) for each position committed to a resident through the Early Commitment Process. Fees may be paid by credit card by telephoning NMS to provide credit card information after the completed letter of agreement has been faxed or sent as a scanned e-mail attachment to NMS. Alternatively, fees may be paid by check payable to National Matching Services Inc. and mailed or sent by delivery service to NMS with the letter of agreement.
- The letter of agreement signed by both parties and the fee paid by the residency program must be received at NMS by December 16, 2016.
On receipt of the letter of agreement and fee, NMS will remove the committed PGY2 position from the Match. If the applicant has previously registered for the Match, NMS will also withdraw the applicant from the Match.
Note: Programs that fill all their positions through the Early Commitment Process must access the PhORCAS system as soon as possible to close the program for applications, so that other applicants will not be able to apply to the program. However, these programs should not withdraw themselves in the NMS Match System, as this will be done by NMS when the Early Commitment letter of agreement is received and processed by NMS.
Positions available in participating PGY2 programs that are not removed from the Match through the Early Commitment Process by the December 16, 2016 deadline must be offered through the matching process, and applicants interested in such positions must register for and participate in the Match.
Obtaining The Early Commitment Letter of Agreement
You can download the letter of agreement as a PDF document by clicking on the link provided below.
If you are unable to download and print the document, you should contact NMS to request that an Early Commitment letter of agreement be sent to you by fax, e-mail or regular mail.