Applicants who wish to register for the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program for positions beginning in 2014 should follow the procedures outlined below.
Access to the online system to register for the Match is provided in the last section of this page.
Prior to Registering
- Review the terms of the Applicant Agreement below. As part of the process to register for the Match, you must agree to comply with and be bound by the terms of the Applicant Agreement.
- Review the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program Rules and Schedule of Dates. All participants must abide by these rules and dates.
- Review the other information provided in the About the Match section of this web site.
- To register for the Match, you will need to identify yourself by providing your DENTPIN®. The DENTPIN (DENTal Personal Identifier Number) is a unique personal identifier assigned by the American Dental Association to each applicant or student who is involved, or wishes to become involved, with the U.S. dental education system and/or standardized dental testing programs. If you do not know your DENTPIN, you must retrieve it (or register to obtain it) from the ADA web site (select the options for Education & Careers -> Testing -> DENTPIN). Note: While you will need your DENTPIN to register for the Match, it will not be your primary identifier for purposes of the Match. You will be assigned an Applicant Code Number for the Match when you register, as described below.
View Applicant Agreement
POSTDOCTORAL DENTAL MATCHING PROGRAM
I plan to apply for a postdoctoral dental position, to start between April 1 and December 31, 2014, for the first year of training in one or more programs that participate in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (the “Match”). I agree to participate in and to abide by the policies of the Match. Specifically, I agree:
I understand that I am free to make personal contacts with any participating program in which I am interested, and to apply to as many of these programs as I wish, and to rank them according to my judgement. If I submit a Rank Order List for Phase I of the Match, I may rank only programs participating in Phase I of the Match on my Phase I Rank Order List. If I am matched in Phase I, I understand that I will not be permitted to submit a Rank Order List for Phase II of the Match. If I do not submit a Rank Order List for Phase I, or if I am not matched in Phase I, I may submit a Rank Order List for Phase II on which I may rank only programs participating in Phase II of the Match.
I understand that I may freely discuss any matter with a program and that I and the program may express a high level of interest in each other. I may voluntarily inform a program as to whether or not I intend to rank the program, and a program may voluntarily inform me as to whether or not it intends to rank me. However, neither party (applicant or program) may solicit such information from the other party. In addition, neither party may disclose to the other party or solicit from the other party any information regarding the positioning of any program or applicant on a Rank Order List. Furthermore, any expression of interest made during the discussion between me and a program is subject to change based on further considerations. Both the program and I have the right to change our minds at any time prior to the submission of the Rank Order Lists.
For the purposes of the Match, my Rank Order List is to be the sole determinant of the order of preference among the programs to which I have applied. Similarly, for the purposes of the Match, the Rank Order List submitted by each program is to be the sole determinant of the program's order of preference among the applicants to the program.
I understand and agree that information concerning my participation in the Match, including my Match result, may be provided to me electronically.
I understand that the result I obtain in the Match, whether I am matched or not and to which program I have been matched, may be reported to my dental school, to programs participating in the Match, and to others, either by mail or electronically.
I understand that my appointment to the program to which I am matched may be contingent on my satisfying eligibility requirements for appointment specified by the institution and program.
I understand that the sponsoring organizations of the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program possess beneficiary standing to enforce this Agreement, and violations of the terms of this Agreement will be reported to the appropriate sponsoring organizations. I understand that if I violate any of the terms of this Agreement, such as refusing to accept a position at a program to which I have been matched, the sponsoring organizations may pursue all available remedies, including reporting my actions to my dental school or to other Match participants. Even if I receive a written release from the program, the sponsoring organizations may impose penalties on me, such as cancellation or denial of memberships in the sponsoring organizations, and barring me from participation in future Matches.
Procedure for Registering
- You must register for the Match online using the shared PASS/Match registration web site, as described below in the last section of this page. You should register for the Match only once.
- You must pay a fee of $90 U.S. to register for the Match. The registration fee is non-refundable, non-transferable and irrevocable.
- It is recommended that applicants register for the Match before October 1, 2013, although registrations can be accepted after that date. Applicants must register for the Match before they can submit a Rank Order List of programs for the Match. The final deadlines for submitting Rank Order Lists are: November 22, 2013 for Orthodontic and Dental Anesthesiology programs; and, January 10, 2014 for the other types of programs that participate in the Match.
- When the registration process is completed, you will be assigned a 5-digit Applicant Code Number, which will be used to identify you in the Match. (Your DENTPIN will not be used in the Match.) You should record your Applicant Code Number for future reference. You will need your Applicant Code Number and the password you provide when you register in order to submit your Rank Order List and obtain your Match results from this web site.
- Two applicants who are participating in the same Phase of the Match and who wish to coordinate their matches (e.g., obtain positions in the same geographic location) may participate in the Match as a "Couple". Each applicant must first register to participate in the Match as an individual; applicants identify themselves as a couple when they submit their Rank Order Lists for the Match. Use the following link to read further instructions for participating in the Match as a couple.
Applications to Programs
- Registration for the Match does NOT constitute an application to any of the programs that participate in the Match.
- Each applicant must apply directly to any Advanced Education in General Dentistry, General Practice Residency, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry and/or Dental Anesthesiology program(s) in which he or she is interested. Applicants should contact each program directly regarding information about the application process, application deadline dates, and interview dates for each program.
View sources of information regarding postgraduate dental programs
The American Student Dental Association
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Dental Association
Commission on Dental Accreditation
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Association of
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
9700 West Bryn Mawr Avenue
Rosemont, IL 60018
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Association of Orthodontists
401 North Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63141-7816
The American Society of Dentist Anesthesiologists
2103 S. Tan Court, Unit C
Chicago, IL 60616
Accessing the Shared PASS/Match Registration Web Site
- Many (but not all) programs that participate in the Match also participate in the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), which is a central application service run by the American Dental Education Association (ADEA). PASS and Match are two separate services operated by separate entities. PASS distributes applicants' background information to programs to initiate the application process, while the Match is used by applicants and programs at the end of the application process to determine the final placement of applicants with programs.
- National Matching Services Inc. (NMS) and ADEA have collaborated to implement a shared PASS/Match registration web site in order to simplify the process for applicants, by providing a single access point for applicants who want to use the services of either the Match or PASS, or both. You must use the shared PASS/Match web site to register for the Match.
- To access the PASS/Match web site to register for the Match, click on the link provided below:
- After the registration process is completed, your registration information will be transmitted from the PASS/Match web site to NMS overnight, and will be reflected in the records maintained by NMS within 24 hours. You should receive a confirmation and additional information from NMS by e-mail within 3 business days following completion of your Match registration.
- After registering, you can update the information you submitted to register for the Match if necessary by returning to the PASS/Match registration web site at portal.passweb.org
- For purposes of the Match, the PASS/Match web site is used only to register and maintain your profile information. You will submit your Rank Order List and obtain Match results directly from this Match web site (not the shared registration web site).